Happy Presidents Day friend!!
I have gotten lots of questions about staying fit and in shape during pregnancy. Today I thought I would share with you some tips and what I do to remain in shape.
Let me be clear that I am NOT a doctor or a healthcare professional. If you are pregnant, please see your health provider in finding out what’s best for you and your lifestyle.
With that said, staying in shape or even finding the energy during pregnancy is hard. There are many many days where I just don’t feel like doing anything. And, THAT’S OKAY! Growing a human being is tough work.
A general rule for working out during pregnancy is if you worked out before, you should keep working out during pregnancy. You’ll need to make a few modifications as your baby (and you) grow. You don’t want to pick up weight training, or trying something new during pregnancy. That is a no-no.
For me, my goal is not to lose weight or build muscle during pregnancy; I want only to maintain what I have to make sure I stay fit. There are many benefits to working out during pregnancy which include; more energy, less aches (pre-natal yoga did WONDERS for my back pain), and you’ll be able to bounce back faster after delivery! You can read more here.
So what do I do to stay in shape?
- Prenatal Yoga. LOVE doing Yoga, it’s relaxing, and I swear it helped me with my delivery! I pushed for 15 minutes with Jadyn (my first born) and pushed once with Colin (my youngest). I’m actually scared this third one will slide right on out.
- Drink water. Stay Hydrated; I aim to drink half my body weight in ounces.
- Rest when you can. Listen to your body and stop when you need to stop. Take a nap if you can, and most importantly aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep at night. Thank the Lord for my snoogle. I am finally sleeping better thanks to my snoogle.
- Watch what you eat. Now I know this one is hard, especially when those cravings kick in. But limit yourself, and watch what you eat. The whole eating for two is not very accurate (see article here). I love drinking smoothies; I’ll buy my fruit and stick them in the freezer and blend it up together in my Ninja.
- Work out 2/3 times a week. I love the pregnancy project for non-gym days. But, I do also go to the gym. My gym workouts look like this:
Cardio – Stairs, elliptical, and power walking.
Lower body – squats, lunges, leg curls, leg extensions and that weird butterfly machine.
Upper body – modified push-ups, curls, shoulder press, and dips.
I hope I was able to answer your questions as far as how I stay in shape during pregnancy. As always, if you have any questions, comment below or send me a message!
Photos by Julia Gozman
Thank you for stopping by!