This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a commission if you make a purchase using the links in this post.
As a mom of soon to be three kids, I have now learned what I do and don’t need. Today I am sharing what to pack in your hospital bag. I have gotten many requests and questions on what to pack in your hospital bag, so I’m spilling the beans and everything I am packing in my bag today! Hopefully, I don’t forget anything. Fingers crossed!
A basket of snacks (not for you, or the baby, duh!). Every birth I bring a basket of goodies along with a thank you letter to the nurses. The are the unsung heroes who are taking care of my baby, and of course myself. It’s not a lot, but just a simple thank you that I appreciate everything they do.
Okay, now let’s get to the nit and gritty:
- You should pre-register at your hospital. Now, I am not sure if it’s like that in all states or even hospitals, but I had to pre-register for my hospital. Once you have done that, you want to make sure you pack your drivers license, insurance card, and any paperwork.
- Pre-wash your nursing clothes with baby’s detergent!! You can read more about that here.
Now that you have that done, What should you pack in your hospital bag?
For baby: Not much. The hospital will have everything you need from diapers, and so on. But I am bringing;
- These adorable personalized outfits, hat, and receiving blanket.
- Liam’s UH socks for pictures
- Going home outfit.
- Mitten’s so he doesn’t scratch his little face.
- Baby book to get his handprints and footprints!
- Carseat (that’s already installed in the car ready to go).
What to bring for yourself;
- Your birth plan (if you have one!)
- Don’t forget your must-haves like glasses, contacts, toothbrush, floss, hair brush, hair tie, lotion (I would go with a nonscented lotion since baby will be laying on you and you don’t want a strong scent), etc.
- As far as makeup I’m bringing my light coverage foundation, my glow palette, under-eye concealer, and a lip balm.
- Delivery Gown– now this is not a NEED, but I do not like the hospital delivery gowns, so I like to bring my own.
- Nursing bras. I stocked up on several from Kohl’s, and I am also trying this one from Kindred Bravely this year.
- Nightgowns and pj’s, ones that are nursing friendly! I am bringing two nightgowns (under $10), and one PJ (under $30!) set that is also nursing friendly.
- A robe, sometimes being away from home is hard, but a luxurious robe makes being in someone else’s bed a bit better for me. Being able to cover up and looking decent for visitors is also a plus too. Love my Danielle robe from Heidi Houston, it’s silky soft and comes with pockets (check out my IG post here for more). You can also get 20% off with code: “UPTOWN20”- Valid until July 10th 2017.
- Underwear! Many women like the mesh underwear that the hospital gives you, I, however, DO NOT. I always get these boyshorts and cheeky underwear from VS. I like them because I prefer a snug fit.
- Pads- go ahead and stock up on your favorite ones!
- The Fridet Momwasher– I really won’t go into details on this one. Ha!
- Belly Band- I wore and used one from Brasil that my mother got me with both boys. I put mine on as soon as I can at the hospital. I think a belly band is well known in other countries, it is recommended (and by recommended I mean my mother told me to) wear it the full six weeks postpartum. But please do seek a medical opinion on this one.
Last but not least, here are a couple of things to remember to pack, or get sorted before your hospital stay;
- Phone Charger
- Camera (and all the right chargers) if you’re going to be taking pictures.
- Speaking of pictures…if you can, hire a photographer to either shoot the labor and/or the first 24 hours.
- Flipflops for the hospital!
- Gifts for the siblings.
Link to my hospital duffle bag here.
There you have it, that is what to pack in the hospital bag. If you have any questions let me know, or if you have any other suggestions comment below so I can add to the list!
Thank you for stopping by, and have a great day!