You get pregnant, and you’re over the moon to be a mama-to-be. Then, all of sudden you can’t sleep anymore, that glow has long gone, your ankles swell up to the size of your thighs, your back aches, breathing isn’t easy as it once was, annnnnnd you’re now waddling like a duck (lets not even mention the one time you peed your pants because you sneezed). Oh, the glory of motherhood and the things no one tells you about.
You finally have your sweet little bundle of joy, and you’re once again on cloud nine.
Then, you get home from the hospital, and you are now going on 3 hours of sleep because you can’t get the baby to go to sleep. Meanwhile, your husband is out cold.
The things no-one tells you about motherhood. The list is long, humorous and sometimes even moving. So what are 10 things about motherhood I was never told?
- The no sleep. Gosh, I have not slept in over 3 years.
- That I will no longer get to eat a warm meal. Heres how this goes, you warm up lunch and you sit down, but wait, the kids need water, and the matching cup, spoon and plate. God forbid you give them a different color. You spend your mealtime telling them that no they can not stick the spaghetti up their nose, and no they can not throw their food. Pretty soon your meal is cold and you have probably already lost your appetite.
- The sound of a breast pump at 1 AM, 3 AM, and 5 AM when it’s dark and quiet.
- The horrible smell of spit up. If you’re lucky enough to have never experienced this, then God bless you. But Jadyn would seriously spit up what felt like was his whole meal… and it gets EVERYWHERE. Hair, clothes, shoes. You name it.
- How many times your child would want to play the same song over, and over and over again.
- How many things go missing. The number of things we have missing in our house is something I can not wrap my mind around. I feel like Jadyn and Colin have a hole out in the yard and just like a dog buries his bone, I feel like everything that is missing is in there.
- The amount of laundry. It’s never-ending!!
- How much poop you clean, and it may not always be in the diaper. For instance here are the places I have cleaned up poop: The bed, curtains, carpet, the tub, and even off myself. So gross.
- Did I mention how much sleep you lose?
- How much you could love another human being more than yourself. Motherhood is hard, it takes a lot out of you, and it pushes you to be a better person. But, no one ever really told me how much my heart would burst with love for my boys. My hands are full, but so is my heart.
Photog by Think Elysian
I would love to hear from you! What are some things about motherhood that no one told you about?!
Share them below!