A special thank you to MudPie for sponsoring this Christmas family traditions post. As always all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting those who support Uptown with Elly Brown.
It’s the most wonderful time of the yeaaaaarr!!
Give me all the hot chocolate, cookies, and peppermint white mochas because I love this time of year! The kids are all old enough to actually understand Christmas, and it’s so exciting to see! They also are at the point that each time they see a commercial with a toy they say “Mama, I want that one.”
Recently we have really been trying to do family traditions with the kids. I love that the boys now look forward to doing these family traditions. It brings up so much joy and I hope they continue doing them with their kids when they are older!
As many of you know, we have been redoing and updating our house.
Today I wanted to share our new living room along with a few of our favorites Christmas family traditions during the holidays!
- Give back! Every year we will pick a child to give a gift too.
- We make cookies! This one is my favorite. The kids love helping and licking the batter with me (haha). We also leave cookies for Santa and reindeer treats!
- Watch a movie! Our favorite movies during this season are Home Alone (and 2), The Elf, and The Polar Express.
- Add a family ornament each year and add the date to the back of it.
- Have someone write back to your kids as Santa!
- Homemade Christmas ornaments
- Create a Christmas countdown
- Cook a Christmas Eve dinner or go out as a family!
- Hide a pickle ornament in the try and the fit kid to find it gets to open gift first or gets a prize!
- Take a family photo on the couch every year on Christmas morning
- Drive around with hot chocolate and look at Christmas lights!
- Have a gingerbread house contest! Run to the store and grab extra candy and add ons to make it more of a competition.
- Pass around a family heirloom! Don’t have one? Start the tradition this year!
- Matching pj’s on Christmas eve
- Cook a family recipe and share with neighbors!
- Have everyone bring their favorite game for a family game night!
- Cookie swap party with family or friends
- Go ice skating
- Christmas music dance party! This is one we will definitely be doing since dance parties are already a normal thing in our house! LOL
- Mail holiday cards! We have been doing this the last few years which I highly recommend to get everyone together to update pictures.
Do you have family traditions that you do every year? Let me know below! Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy holidays!!