As I became a mom, one thing I lost total control of- is my sleep. I want to blame it on my kids, but the truth is, they all sleep through the night! So me staying up into the wee hours and waking up at the crack of dawn is not a healthy lifestyle, and all on me. And again, truth be told this is causing more damage than anything. I desperately need to have healthy sleep habits.
I’ll go through stages of having GREAT healthy sleep habits. And not so healthy like- staying up late, drinking a glass of wine before bed, or falling asleep with my phone next to me.
The result of me not getting good sleep is one crabby mama. I get agitated quickly, I make poor decisions when it comes to eating, and my body feels week.
Earlier this week on social so many of you mentioned your sleep habits are all out of whack. So today, we are going to keep each other accountable and start practicing the 7 healthy sleep habits below.
A well rested mama, is a better mama!
- Stick to a schedule. This means no sleeping in on the weekend. Go to bed every night at the same time and wake up at the same time.
- Get a full night’s rest! Aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Cool down. Your room should be 60-65 degrees to get optimal sleep during the night.
- Daily exercise. Move your body! Use is great for so many things, and believe it or not, when you move your body, it also improves your sleep quality!
- Avoid alcohol before bed. Alcohol may help you fall asleep faster but can interrupt your sleep the second half of your sleep.
- No electronic devices or TV 30 mins before bed. The blue light in your devices can interfere with your body’s internal clock in producing melatonin.
- Brain Dump. This one has been a GAME changer for me. My mind can sometimes run at night on all the things I need to do. Someone recommend a brain dump list. In this list, I will literally “dump” everything I am thinking about- goals, dreams, to- do’s, etc. There is something about it leaving my brain that helps so much!
There you have it, 7 sleep habits to adopt. Do you already do any of these? Share your thoughts below!
^^mommy and me throw set from Boll & Branch
Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great day!
SEE SIMILAR ARTICLES HERE: