Cute and trendy maternity clothes can be pricey, and the sad part is after nine months you can’t wear any of it. Buying Maternity clothes during pregnancy can be so hard, and not to mention EXPENSIVE.
Today, I wanted to share a few tips on how to buy regular clothes during pregnancy. Warning: you may not be able to get away with staying away from maternity clothes altogether. BUT, I do think you can get away from buying EVERYTHING maternity.
For maternity wear, I would suggest splurging on your basics and denim if you can (see my favorite maternity denim post here). Other then your essential pieces like a seamless cami, or a LBD, you can get away with regular clothes during pregnancy.
Here are my tips on how to buy regular clothes during pregnancy
- Size up. Seems pretty logical right? Well, it’s true, and it works. You may need to size up more than just one size, which will also allow you to wear the item even longer. Sizing up works especially for tops and dresses to fit a little bit longer.
- Go for A-line dresses or tops. Flowy tops with a drop waist and dresses with an A-line will flow over the belly beautifully, and allow you even to wear your non-maternity jeans longer.
- When It comes to shorts or bottoms, go for the ones with elastic that can stretch. Because of the elastic in these shorts, I can wear my shorts below the belly, and it’s comfortable! I recently found out about Maeband too, it’s an extender that allows you to wear your regular denim DURING pregnancy- I have them and LOVE it.
- Opt-in for long tunics! They can be perfect when paired with leggings.
- Buy more dresses! Dresses are great during pregnancy and can always be worn in different ways to change your look. You can buy t-shirt dresses, drop-waist dresses, maxi dresses, or belted dresses to accentuate the bump.
- Avoid anything that cinches (or has a line) at a low waistline (like a waist jumpsuit). With your belly growing, it only means that line or “cinch” will be moved further down, and 99% of the times it looks off. **Look for high waisted instead!
- Look for clothing pieces that have stretch and can stretch. Trust me, you will want ALL the stretch as your belly grows.
Take a look down below at more non-maternity items that I think will be great for the bump!
photos by Julia Gozman
Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great rest of your day!