Hello there again my friends! We are going to jump right into today’s topic because I know it’s one many of you have been waiting for. How to grow your Instagram.
Grab a cup of coffee and let’s chat for a while. Also, if you missed my first post in this series, head over to all things blogging in this post.
I get asked how to grow your Instagram a lot. And believe me, I have read tons of articles myself on how to build my Instagram following. But to be honest, there isn’t an XYZ formula. Especially with the Instagram algorithm nowadays! Growing your following can be, well, tough.
There are also so many different opinions on what to do, and what not to do. I think at the end of the day, as simple as it is… it’s catering to your readers, and that may look different for everyone.
1. I have said this before, and I will repeat it… YOU DO NOT OWN Instagram. Please, pleeeease, stop trying to build a brand on something you do not own. Yes, use it as leverage, but use ALL the social media platforms like; Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to feed into the one thing you do own- your blog.
2. Stop worrying about how many followers you have, or don’t have. This one is hard for me too, but again, you do not own IG! If they shut down or your account gets hacked, then what?! I know several girls who have 20k and are landing huge collaborations. Use IG as another way to connect with your readers on a more personal level.
3. Focus on your readers and creating content THEY want. Not what you think they want. This goes for your blog as well! When a picture doesn’t do well or doesn’t get great engagement, ask yourself why. Was it what you posted, were they not interested? Did you post at the wrong time?
4. The most organic way to build your following goes back to creating quality and beautiful content. And not just any material, but content your readers want to see. Ways to do this is to poll your readers, and to pay attention to your most frequently asked questions.
Unless you are in a comment pod, buying likes/followers or giveaways, growth will sometimes seem impossible! My thoughts on pods and other methods to “grow”- do what you need to do for your business. But at the end of the day, when you can’t prove ROI to a brand who has hired you, then you have no one else to blame but yourself.
Another note about giveaways- I have done several of them, and they ALWAYS come back to bite you in the butt. You have to be very strategic with your giveaways and who you are teaming up with. Or else, you are inflating your numbers and won’t be able to prove ROI to brands.
5. Be consistent in what you do. Post often (I aim to post 2x a day). Post quality pictures. Make sure your IG page looks visually appealing when someone is looking at your profile. ** note; Do not EVER, use someone’s image without asking, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS credit them. Create your own pictures!
6. Schedule your posts. This will help you make sure your pictures are on brand and will help with posting frequently. I use Planoly to schedule my posts and make sure they “flow” together.
7. ENGAGE, ENGAGE, ENGAGE! Respond to your comments, don’t just like them. Respond to your DM’s and respond. Ask questions on your pictures, create a community. Provoke a thought! The more they comment, and the more engaging someone is with your account, the more they will see your posts. Get on stories and go live! Find ways to always be on your reader’s radar!
8. Lastly, have fun, and enjoy the journey!
outfit details: dress / shoes / bag / belt (similar) / hat (similar here )
Do you have any tips on how to grow your Instagram? Share them below!
Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great day!
Your Instagram is seriously goals, Elly! I love how much thought and care you put into your visuals. Super inspiring! 🙂
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Great advice ?
Great tips! Your IG is amazing! Some days I find myself getting so caught up in the “other stuff” – followers, hashtags, etc. that I don’t spend as much time focusing on what I need to, my content!
I hear you girl! I get caught up in that too. It’s always good to take some time off and refocus!