Mixing prints can be a challenge, and most people run from it. That is why I am here to help! I want to show you it isn’t that scary and it can be fun! It’s a way to stand out in a crowd, get creative, and look like a style icon. Another way to look at it is if you are bored with your closet, this is a fun way to changes things up. By mixing print, you are getting a new wardrobe with items you already have but never thought to wear together.
How to Mix Prints Like a Pro
- Try to keep your patterns in the same color family. That way, they tie in together. This isn’t a hard-fast rule, but if you’re a beginner to print mixing, this will be the easiest way for you to decide how pattern play.
- Match prints with that share the same color. For example, leopard with black and white stripes. The common color here would be black.
- Mix different scales of prints. For example, if you’re going to wear two different floral pieces, make sure the floral prints are of different sizes. You want to mix a big pattern, with a small pattern. Or, if you’re wearing polka dots and floral, keep one print large, and one print small.
- If using the same pattern, try to invert the colors. Think black and white stripes, with white and black polka dots.
- Leopard is always a neutral… okay, maybe that’s not entirely true, but it is in my book.
- Try pairing two of the same prints! Aim for a different size and color print.
- Still not comfortable mixing prints? Try playing with prints and patterns with accessories for a lighter, yet still fun touch!
Below you’ll find a graphic I put together that you can always save and reference back. Obviously, there are way more prints out there than those below, but I figured most of us already have these prints in our closet.
The biggest thing to remember when it comes to pattern play, is to HAVE FUN. These are not hard-fast rules. If you like it, then wear it! Style is ALL about confidence.
What are your thoughts on pattern play? Have you tried it? Do you feel more confident to rock the look? Share your thoughts below! Thanks for stopping by, have a great day!
P.S. If you decide to pattern play, send me your OOTD. You can email me them, or tag me on social media!
SEE THIS VIDEO BELOW ON HOW TO MIX YOUR PATTERNS
View this post on Instagram
WHICH LOOK IS YOUR FAVORITE? 1️⃣,2️⃣,3️⃣,4️⃣,5️⃣? — You can find more on my tips on how to mix prints here ?? https://www.uptownwithellybrown.com/how-to-mix-prints/ For details and links on items (some are old and sold out) you can find it here ?? https://www.uptownwithellybrown.com/shop/ig-outfits/
SEE SIMILAR ARTICLES HERE: