Jordan and I recently went to a wedding, and the attire was formal. Since then, I’ve gotten asked a couple of times what is appropriate and what should be avoided to a formal wedding. Today let’s talk about what to wear to a formal wedding and I’m also sharing a few of my favorite formal dresses under $100 below.
I think if we first mention what should be avoided when attending a formal wedding, narrowing down what can be worn will be easier.
Here are the following things to avoid:
- Anything white. Period. Even if it’s a white dress with floral, white should be avoided at all costs, no if’s and’s or but’s.
- Too much skin. Avoid too much cleavage or a dress/skirt that’s too short. Also, make sure you are not able to see any underwear. Backless dresses showing your bra is a no-no.
- Bright and/or neon colors. You want to look nice, but you are not the center of attention and nor should your outfit be.
- Club attire, if you would wear your dress to the club, chances are it’s not suitable for a formal wedding.
- Jeans. Unless the invite calls you to wear them, I don’t care how laid back the wedding is, jeans are a DON’T.
Now on to what to wear to a formal wedding:
- Stick to dark hues. Dark blue, reds or you guessed it, a little black dress is perfect.
- Long evening dresses (doesn’t have to be a gown).
- Cocktail length dress. For a formal wedding, I would make sure the dress is no shorter than your knees.
Now for the fun part, here are some of my favorite dresses that will help you solve the what to wear to a formal wedding question. All are under $100!
Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great day!